OH LORD! THIS COFFEE GETS COLD & SOMEHOW NEVER STAYS HOT?

I have a theory that coffee has a very personal grudge against people who procrastinate.You make it hot & then, somehow, you are watching a man in Japan making a wooden spoon at 3:17 in the afternoon. You return to your coffee. Cold! And here's the unfair part, coffee has never once done the reverse. Physics will tell you that heat naturally moves from something warmer to something cooler, Chemistry will start talking about molecules, Biology will remind you that your own body is constantly producing & losing heat. BUT HEY, there is also something beautiful about the fact that coffee is warm only because it is different from its surroundings. If the room and the coffee were exactly the same temperature, there would be no exchange worth noticing. Difference creates movement. Maybe that is true outside physics too right?

I notice people because they are different from me, I remember certain years because they were different from the others. We (and not I) fall in love because someone suddenly becomes warmer than the rest of the world. And heartbreak is just the moment when the temperature difference disappears. And perhaps the coffee sitting beside me has the simplest answer of all. It doesn't get cold because it has given up. It gets cold because everything is constantly exchanging something with everything else. Heat with the room. Water with the air. People with people. Love with memory. Coffee has become a surprisingly good unit of human time. Let's grab coffee means I want to talk(sometimes). Maybe that is why cafés have become such strange little theatres of modern life. BTW, India has been quietly becoming a much bigger coffee story, with coffee exports reaching about $2.08 billion in FY2026. Which means that the cup beside your laptop is not really just a cup. It is rain in Karnataka, soil in Brazil, a farmer in Colombia looking at the sky, a ship crossing an ocean.

Well, haven't we all been a hot cup of coffee at some point? Full of energy. Slightly overconfident. Convinced we have somewhere important to be, and then life happens and you notice that, SRK has spent an unreasonable portion of his career standing in the rain waiting for evidence. Speaking of rain, scientifically, it is water falling because of gravity. That's it. Gravity. The same force responsible for keeping planets in orbit is also responsible for ruining your freshly straightened hair. Yet poets have spent centuries looking at rain and seeing longing. History has seen rain as harvest, flood, famine and survival. Cinema sees two people running toward each other. Your dad sees wet clothes that need to be brought inside immediately. Same rain, different observers. Maybe that's the strangest thing about being human, we keep taking ordinary physical events and giving them emotional meanings.

Perhaps this is why humans invented poetry. When numbers become insufficient, we start using metaphors. When metaphors become insufficient, we make movies. When movies become insufficient, we make songs. When all of that fails, we text someone at 2 a.m., “Are you awake?” 

I think that is why I don't mind my coffee getting cold as much anymore. Well. I do mind. Cold coffee is objectively disappointing but I understand it a little better. The coffee was never supposed to stay hot forever, it was hot because, for a little while, it was different from everything around it. And perhaps that is the point. Stars burn. Rivers move. Mountains erode. Cities change. People leave. Coffee cools. And still, every morning, someone somewhere boils water and starts again. 

Now excuse me. There is a reel I apparently need to watch about a man making a wooden spoon in Japan.




Popular posts from this blog

PERHAPS {little personal}

OH! TO NOT BE A MORNING SUN OR MIDNIGHT MOON BUT "MIDDAY SUN"